Granola Chiffon Cake
(Recipe adapted & modified from Happy Home Baking)
70g egg yolks
60g vegetable oil
15g cocoa powder
70g plain flour
10g corn flour
180g egg whites
80g caster sugar
100g chocolate chips
25g chopped peanuts
1. Using a manual hand whisk, mix ingredients (A) together in a mixing bowl till well combined.
2. Sieve in ingredients (B) & whisk till the flour is fully incorporated into the batter.
3. In a clean, dry mixing bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on low speed until mixture becomes frothy & foamy. Turn to high speed & gradually beat in the sugar until soft peaks forms.
4. With a spatula, gently fold in 1/3 of the beaten egg whites into the yolk mixture until just blended. Repeat with 1/2 of the remaining egg white. Finally, pour the resulting batter to the remaining egg white. Fold in to combine. Next, fold in the chocolates chips.
5. Pour batter into a tube pan. Tap the pan lightly on a table top to get rid of any trapped air bubbles in the batter. Sprinkle peanuts & oats over the surface.
6. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 degC for 60mins or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Invert the pan immediately & let cool completely before unmould.
I got to agree with HHB that one downside of making chiffon cakes with toppings is, upon inverting the pan to cool the cake, some toppings dropped all over the table!
This cake is really soft & moist. I love how the chocolate chips melt in my mouth & add a tinge of sweetness to the cake. Enjoy!