Hey folks, I am finally back from US on Sunday! Well, I am having serious jet lag, got tons of housework to do & worst of all, I am sick again :( I wonder why am I always a victim of fever & sore throat? I really hate the idea of popping Panadol strictly. Arrgghhh... :(
Anyway, my Cat's 'paws' are itchy today so I made some pretzels! Speaking of pretzels, I wondered why Americans love them so much? I saw many carts selling pretzels on the roadsides & long queue for Auntie Anne's Pretzels in most shopping malls. Guess what? My hubby is also a fan of Auntie Anne's Pretzels. Alright, so I gotta try making some for him & see what he got to say about Cathy's Pretzels. Hehehe.. ;)
Double Cinnamon Pretzels
(Recipe adapted & modify from The Second Book of Baking for Beginners & The Purple Foodie)
300g bread flour
1 tsp instant yeast
1/4 tsp salt
30g olive oil
200mls warm water
2 cups water + 2 Tbsp baking soda (for boiling pretzels)
Mini Cinnamon Chips
1 tsp Cinnamon powder + 3 Tbsp sugar (mixed together)
1. Mix flour, sugar, salt, instant yeast, water & oil together in a mixer until dough is smooth & elastic.
2. Proof for 1 hr.
3. Punch out air in dough & divide into 7 portions.
4. Roll the dough into 20cm ropes. Press the ropes of dough flat. Add in some mini cinnamon chips & roll the dough lengthwise, pinching it tightly shut to prevent filling from leaking out while shaping & baking.
5. Shaping: Form a U-shape with the stuffed rope of dough. Hold the ends of rope, and cross them over each other. Pull ends around and down to the bottom of the U, pressing dough together.
6. Add baking soda to water & bring it to a boil in a large saucepan. Drop pretzels into water one at a time for 30secs. Remove & drain dry slightly with kitchen towels.
7. Bake in a preheated oven of 220 degree for 8-10mins.
8. Brush with melted butter once pretzels are out from oven & coat sugar cinnamon on both sides.