Thursday, June 23, 2011

Teochew-styled Braised Duck 潮式卤水鸭


Being a Teochew myself, I loved braised duck especially after it has been soaked with the gravy overnight.  I was 'salivating' in front of my lappy when I saw Alan (from travellingfoodies) did this braised duck back in January. However, I reckoned that it is time consuming & thus gave up the idea of doing it myself.

I am very honoured to have Alan teaching me the techniques of braising duck step by step today! Both of us had arranged to meet up this morning at 'Giants' to purchase the essential  ingredients first before heading to my place. Thanks to Alan, I got to know how galangal looks like (yes, I know I am a mountain tortoise ;P) & also how to choose a duck.

Oh yes, did I mention that I am a novice when it comes to cooking? The kitchen utensils I have at home are limited as well. I guessed its a challenge for Alan when he stepped into my kitchen... hahaha ;P

Difficulties encountered:
#1: A large wok with lid to braise the duck
The pot which I perceived as 'largest' in my home is actually small to him still ;P 
Nevertheless we still managed to squeeze the duck in. 
However, it became a chore to turn the duck (in order to get both sides nicely coloured & cooked) due to the 'limited space' in the pot. 

#2: Cleaver to chop the duck
I do not have a cleaver at home! Hehehe ;P Scroll down to see what Alan used to chop the duck.


Teochew-styled Braised Duck ~ 潮式卤水鸭   
(Recipe adapted from Alan of travellingfoodies)

   Duck: Faint at the sight of sharp knife...  

Duck: Look at what Alan did to me when Cathy squirmed "Aiyeeeerrr!!!"

 
Duck: Rest in peace in Cathy's stomach

28 comments:

Nasi Lemak Lover said...

so cute post, ^^...Hmm, in fact it look really tempting to me..

cathysjoy said...

Nasi Lemak Lover,
Yes, its very yummy! :)

Amelia said...

Delicious braised duck.... my favorite too. Haiz... long time didn't got the chance to cook this cos hard to  get good quality duck.  Those "thick skin" duck only suitable for roasting.
Fr. Amelia dessert

cathysjoy said...

Amelia,
I had never roast a duck before. kekeke :)

Eileen said...

Already had my dinner but I am feeling hungry now..

cathysjoy said...

Eileen,
Hahaha, enjoy the duck ;)

Hanushi said...

Wow... Alan teach you how to make this duck? Yummy.......

cathysjoy said...

Hanushi,
Yes! He did most of the 'chor gang' ;P

Hanushi said...

now you have learnt the skills, can I invite myself for dinner at your place next time... :) hahaha...

cathysjoy said...

hanushi,
Hahaha, you are the 2nd person who wanna try this dish! :)

Hanushi said...

haha... who is the first?

cathysjoy said...

Eelin the batter baker ;)

Hanushi said...

hehe.. I am scrolling up and down the duckie pic... ahh...

btw, the "cleaver" is so small.... pei fu alan to chop the duck with that...

cathysjoy said...

Hahaha, yes! I aso say he got skill when he chop the duck. So nicely done leh! then he say 叔叔有练过的!哈哈哈哈哈 ;P

Hanushi said...

So 搞笑, the both of you. haha, must be really fun cooking session and with delicious food. :)

cathysjoy said...

Oh yes, definitely fun! :)

travellingfoodies (Alan) said...

hope you enjoyed the cooking and bitching, oops I mean chatting today! I certainly did!  It was fun discussing recipes and flipping through cookbooks together. And thanks for your macarons! they taste as good as they look!

cathysjoy said...

Yup yup, very fun indeed. Thanks for showing me the ropes on choosing ingredients & braising the duck. Glad you like my macs ;)

Loh_waifong said...

Wow.... Looks yummy. I have to try out this recipe one of these days.

cathysjoy said...

waifong,
Yes, must try! ;)

jess said...

i want!!!!

cathysjoy said...

Ah jess,
The duck RIP in both my hubby & my stomach liao... kekeke ;P

Small Small Baker said...

Wah, I really like braised duck! Looks very delicious!

cathysjoy said...

SSB,
Yup. very yummy, give it a try :)

Peng said...

looks so yummy!! I'm also teochew but yet to attempt this dish! my mum cooked a mean braised duck but nvr got chance to learn from her...bookmarked ur recipe!!

cathysjoy said...

Peng,
Yeah, very yummy indeed :)

lena said...

wow,  i feel like grabbing a piece now! quack, quack!!didnt know that alan can cook so well too!

cathysjoy said...

Lena,
Yup! Alan cooks better than me ;)

Post a Comment