Hanushi (from Simply hanushi) & I had a great time baking together at my place this afternoon! We were cracking our brains last week thinking of what to bake. Hanushi suggested baking 'Roti Boy' & green tea buns (she is a green tea lover!) while I suggested to do Ang Ku Kueh since 'kueh' is the theme for Aspiring Bakers this month.
Black Glutinous Ang Ku Kueh (Recipe adapted & modify from Happy Flour)
*Any fillings of your choice (we use yam paste from PH)
Method 1. Mix all the dough ingredients together & knead to form a soft dough. 2. Wrap the dough up & rest it in the fridge for 10mins. 3. Weigh 28g of dough for skin & wrap 14g of filling into the dough & seal opening.
4. Place the kueh into a greased mould & press it to set the shape. 5. Knock out the kueh & place it on a piece of baking paper.
6. Steam for 10mins & brush some cooking oil on the surface of the kuehs. ** We are submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #12: Traditional Kueh (October 2011) hosted by Small Small Baker.
Roti Boy / Green tea buns (Recipe adapted & modify from Lucky Inn 幸福小站)
Both of us heart these Roti Boy. The crust is thin & crunchy while the bun is so soft inside.
Times really flies! Year 2010 is coming to an end in 2 months time! I will be away for a long holiday & be back next year 2012, thus I decided to bake a birthday cake to pre celebrate my niece's birthday (she's turning 2 yrs old in Dec).
Last year, I did a Teddy Bear cake for her. This time, I wanted to try something different. I bet it will be interesting to have a barbie doll birthday cake?! This is my 1st attempt in barbie doll cake & I must say the assembling part of the cake layers are not as difficult as I thought. I am pretty satisfied with the end product ;)
I am so excited & wanted to bring this cake over to my mum's house to celebrate this occasion together but Oops.. wait a minute! This little barbie doll cake is slightly 'too tall' to be placed in the fridge (my mum's fridge do not have adjustable compartments). Transportation of this cake seemed a bit tricky as well. This is a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. But, my family don't really eat cream cakes (they will scrape away the cream), so it may be a bit wasteful if they throw my cream cheese frosting ;P
Well.. I shall keep the cake for myself then. Wahahaha.... take it as a pre celebration for both my hubby (Nov baby) & my birthday (Dec baby) this yr. Guess what? I had emailed my sister this barbie doll picture & she mentioned to me that when my niece saw it she said she like it very much! Aww.. such a darling isn't she? She really makes my day *^_^*
Did you notice that I have been doing lots of bread lately? Yup, I gotta confess... I guess, I am truly, madly & deeply in love with bread making. My parents & hubby are all bread lovers, so this motivates me to make more bread for their consumption!
Ingredients 350g butter, softened 195g sugar
1 tsp grand marnier 1/2 vanilla pod
250g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
Method 1. Sift together plain flour & baking powder, set aside. 2. Scrap the beans from the vanilla pod. Cream together with butter & sugar until light & fluffy. 3. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time until well mixed. 4. Fold in grand marnier & mix well, fold in flour until well combined. 5. Pour batter into pan and bake in a preheated oven of 170C for 25mins or until golden brown.
* The batter is enough to make 9 small bundt cakes & a 6" hello kitty cake
280g bread flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast
180ml warm water
2 cloves Garlic
Rosemary (for sprinkle on top of bread)
1) Mix ingredients (A) in a mixer for 3mins.
2) Shape dough into a ball & proof for 1 hour.
3) Turn the dough out onto a silpat mat & roll it out to a rectangle. Starting from one of the short ends, roll the dough like a swiss roll. Pinch all edges to seal the dough then place it seam-side down. 4) Proof the dough for 45mins till it doubles in size.
5) With a sharp knife, slash across the top of the dough.
6) Mix ingredients (B) together & pipe on top of bread. Sprinkle more rosemary on surface.
6) Bake at 200°C for 25mins till the crust is golden brown.
Mushroom Soup (recipe adapted & modify from Julia Child)
400g mushroom (finely chopped)
1.5 tbsp plain flour
450 ml milk
Salt & black pepper to taste
1. Mince onion, cook in butter until tender.
2. Add flour & stir for 1min.
3. Add milk, salt & pepper & simmer for few mins
4. Add mushrooms & simmer for 25mins.
5. Blend soup for smoother consistency.
*Add more water or milk if prefer to have a thinner consistency
Verdict: Creamy mushroom soup! Both my hubby & I love it ;) I guess I will stop buying canned mushroom soup from supermarkets from now on. I made some Garlic Focaccia to go along with the soup. Simple meal, isn't it? ;)
Chocolate Brownie (recipe adapted & modify from here)
Ingredients 1/2 cup salted butter melted 1/2 cup melted chocolate 1 cupsugar 1 tspvanilla essence 2 eggs 1/2 cup plain flour 1/3 cup cocoa powder 1/4 tspbaking powder
1. Stir together butter, chocolate, sugar & vanilla in bowl. Add eggs & beat well with a balloon whisk. Stir together flour, cocoa & baking powder. Gradually add to egg mixture, beating until well blended.