Yippee, I finally made my own Bamboo Charcoal Bread!
About a month ago, Jess (from Jess kitchen) & I went PH 'shopping' together & saw Bamboo Charcoal Powder, 250g selling @ $24+ & the staff there claimed that it is their smallest package. Huh? 250g is smallest package? Ridiculous, isn't it? I can't imagine how long it is going to last. I guess I gotta add the powder in all my bakes from now on before I can finish up the 250g! Even if jess & I were to share the powder, 125g seemed too much as well especially when most recipes only call for 1-2tsp of powder each time.
I mentioned this to Eelin (the batter baker) in msn previously about how badly Jess & I wanted the Charcoal Powder. I even joked to improvise our own by pounding those charcoal pills that we took for diarrhoea instead & add more sugar to the dough to 'camouflage' the unpleasant medicine taste. Then we will have an anti-diarrhoea bread instead! Woohoo! But, on a second thought, I reckoned whoever ate the bread will have their mouth stained as they chew on the bread! Hahaha ;P Opps!
Thus, one of my 'mission' is to hunt for smaller packages of charcoal powder in HK! I was glad to find them after searching a few baking shops. Without hesitation, I grabbed two packs off the shelves (one for Jess of coz!).
Charcoal Bread (recipe adapted & modified from Frozen wings by Lena)
Bread flour 300g
Bread improver 3g
caster sugar 20g
instant yeast 1 1/4 tsp
Bamboo charcoal powder 1.5 tsp
1. Combine flour, sugar, bread improver, yeast & milk in a mixer & mix well till smooth dough is formed.
2. Add in butter till dough is smooth & shiny.
3. Divide dough into 2 portions. Add in the charcoal powder into one portion & mix till dough is even colour.
4. Shape both dough into round shapes. Divide each dough into 2 portions, so now altogether 2 portions of plain dough & 2 portions of charcoal dough.
7. Roll them out & shape them into rectangle
8. Stack the layers alternately, flatten the dough & roll them up tight.
9. Place in a lightly greased loaf tin & let proof for an hour .
10. Bake in a preheated oven @ 170C for 30 mins.