Easy Korean Kimchi 韩国辛奇泡菜
(recipe adapted & modify slightly from Nasi Lemak Lover)
1.8kg napa cabbage100g coarse salt
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 packet spring onion, cut into 2” length
200g apple, cubed
100g onion, cubed
30g garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
120g Korean Gochujang
1 Tbsp sugar
20g glutinous rice flour
20ml soya sauce
1. Remove the core from the cabbage & cut it into pieces.
In a very large bowl, add the cabbages & toss with salt. Place a clean plate & heavy object on top.
2. Put in room temperature for 1.5hr, remove & squeeze the excess water from the cabbage.
3. Prepare shredded carrot. Add a pinch of salt & rest for 30mins, remove & squeeze the excess water. Cut the spring onion into 2” length, keep aside.
4. Put all ingredients (A) in a blender & process until fine paste, set aside.
5. In a saucepan, put all ingredients (B) & stir well.
Cook over low heat & stirring all the time till become a paste.
6. Add (4) into (5) & mixed till well blended.
7. In a large mixing bowl, add cabbage, carrots, spring onions, fish sauce & paste, mix well.
Place the kimchi in a clean glass container & let it sit at room temperature for 1 day for fermentation. You should see surface bubbling when you use spatula to press firmly on the kimchi & there is a sour smell. Put in fridge after that.